Monday, September 20, 2010

Mount Olympus

So, if you are looking for a trail that is sure to challenge you, then this is it. It is 3.5 miles to the top and it climbs over 4000 feet. That is a very steep climb. I had the intention of running this trail, but it was mostly a walk. This is what the trail looks like right at the start. It climbs up, imagine that. It starts right at the foothills. Throughout the entire hike you have a great view of the Salt Lake Valley.

So this next one is more than half way up the trail looking down towards the valley. You can see the copper mine on the other mountain over there.


The last twenty minutes or so is spent almost rock climbing. It is not true climbing, but it is about as close as you can get without actually climbing the rocks. I never felt like I was in danger if I slipped. I would have just slid a little bit and knocked some loose rocks down.


Here is a view from the top. I think this is looking West northwest from the summit.


And that is me enjoying the sun and a short break at the summit.


I don't know why I took this picture. I guess I was really out of it from hiking so hard. I'm just a little weird. Maybe I need to send the picture to Amphipod so they can use it as an advertisement photo. That would be funny.


This is on the way back down the mountain. Since it was so steep, it was very difficult to run any of it.


There were actually a few spots that were pretty nice like this. This section was pretty runnable.


And I made it down safely.


I like this one for the fact that there is so much climbing. If I can manage to run up this one the whole way, then I would be in great shape. I'll keep trying and working towards it. For now, I'll stick to the other trails up big and little cottonwood canyons.

No comments: